Pages

Text Widget

All musings written by S.Elisabeth

SElisabeth17@gmail.com

A blog dedicated to the life of a contradictory college student whether it be long winded rants or pretty things that catch her eye.

Este blog está dedicado a la vida de una estudiante de universidad contradictoria, de los gritos largos o las cosas bellas que ella ve. Mi español es terrible, pero estoy intentando aumentar.

"I have a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than of boredom."-Thomas Carlyle
Powered by Blogger.

Current Read

Current Read

Recent Posts

Download

Unordered List

reading for grown-ups

| | 1 comments
Okay, okay. Listen. I've got this brilliant idea. It's called a self-improvement plan. This past year, I had this feeling that I was somehow getting dumber. I know, I'm (read: my parents right now) paying all this money for a quality private, liberal arts college education, and I feel dumber than I did upon high school graduation. What? How? Well, let me tell you. It's not just because I can't answer as many questions on "Jeopardy" than I could when I was enrolled in AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP English Language and Literature, AP American History, AP Spanish, a Introduction to Philosophy seminar, and a Newspaper class (do you want to shoot my overachieving seventeen-year-old self? I do, and I haven't even given you my extracurriculars). That is a factor, but it's also the fact that I'm letting life have more of an influence than just education. Which isn't a bad thing at all. Having friends, joining a sorority, experiencing college night life, hanging out in the DH for more than hour--that's just as important as that Accounting class I took my first semester. It's just that I feel like I need a bit more of a balance. I want to be able to engage in conversation about current events. I want to write better, sound wittier, make better references. How? By expanding my reading content. While I love my Glamour and Teen Vogue (I'm nineteen for a few more months, don't judge), and I love reading fashion blogs and allkpop, they're not quite doing it for me. So, starting once I get back from Spain, here are the reading materials I'm going to subscribe to:
--------------------
Escúchame. Tengo esta idea brillante. Es mi plan de mejora. Este año pasado, tuve este sentimiento que me hice más estúpida. Yo sé, estoy (mis padres) pagando mucho dinero por una educación privada y de buena calidad, y siento más estúpida que sentí después de mi graduación de colegio. ¿Qué? ¿Cómo? Pues, permíteme explicar. Es no solo porque no puedo contestar todas las preguntas en “Jeopardy” como pude cuando estudié clases avanzadas en literatura, química, cálculo, historia de los Estados Unidos, y español, una introducción a filosofía, y una clase de periódicos  (¿Quieres matar mi misma que rinde más de lo normal? Hago, y no te he dicho sobre mis actividades después de las horas de escuela). Este hecho es un factor, pero también es el hecho que estoy permitiendo mi vida tiene una influenza más grande que solo educación. Y es no es un hecho malo. Teniendo amigos, ingresando en una hermandad, experimentando la vida de noche de universidad, pasando tiempo en mi cafetería para horas—son tan importantes como la clase de contabilidad que saque en mi primer semestre. Solo… necesito una balanza. Quiero poder participar en conversación sobre los eventos corrientes. Quiero escribir mejor, parecer más ingeniosa, hacer referencias mejores. ¿Cómo? Estoy me expandiendo mi contento de leer. Mientras de me encanta mi Glamour y mi Teen Vogue (¡tengo diez y nueve años!), y me encanta mis blogs de modo y allkpop, no son suficientes. Cuando me vuelvo de España, aquí son las materias de leer que voy a subscribirme a:
Obviously: The New Yorker

For Business: The Economist 

For Fashion & Culture Needs: Elle

For Daily News: New York Times

 Or I might get these sent to my Kindle Fire and read them now... Hm...
O puedo comprarlos para mi Kindle Fire y los leo ahora...Hm...

1 comments:

 
Twitter Facebook Dribbble Tumblr Last FM Flickr Behance